Improve Your Health By Detoxifying Your Liver
Our general health and wellbeing depends heavily on our body’s ability to break down and purge toxins. We are exposed to many, many toxins every day through our food, the products we use, alcohol and other substances we consume, so it’s important that we take care of the organ responsible for processing these toxins: the liver! A liver detox is a great way to do this.
The liver is one of the hardest working organs in our body. To give you an idea of just how hard the liver works, here are some of its essential functions:
- Processing nutrients absorbed by the intestines, so they are more efficiently absorbed
- Regulating blood composition to balance protein, fat and sugar
- Destroying old red blood cells
- Producing essential chemicals to help blood clot properly
- Breaking down and metabolising alcohol and medications
- Producing essential proteins and cholesterol
- Removing toxins from the bloodstream, including bilirubin, ammonia and others
- Storing of minerals, iron and vitamin A.
As you can imagine, sometimes the liver needs a little helping hand.
There are many ways you can detox your liver. Firstly, you should start by attempting to remove as many processed foods from your diet as possible. Processed foods usually contain lots of hydrogenated oils and refined sugar which are a nightmare for your liver and secondly, drink more water, raw juice, and cut down on sugary drinks and alcohol.
Lastly, invest in a quality liver detox product, such as St Mary’s thistle capsules, as they are full of antioxidants which are great for decreasing the risk of liver cell damage attributed to harmful chemicals such as alcohol. They also stimulate the growth of new liver cells.
Study more about how natural medicines can improve the health of your liver with the Australian School of Herbal Medicine.